Miralax Gatorade Bowel Prep Instructions
The Miralax Preparation requires a total of 3 different Laxatives:
- You will need a bottle of Miralax (238 gram bottle) to be purchased at your pharmacy.
You will need to purchase a 10 ounce bottle of Magnesium Citrate (Green or Clear only) at your pharmacy. No prescription required.
You need to purchase 4 Dulcolax tablets.
- You will need to purchase a 64 ounce bottle of green, yellow or clear Gatorade, Propel or Crystal Light to mix the Miralax in. No red, orange or purple liquid may be used.
WEEK BEFORE PROCEDURE
Take all regularly scheduled medications unless otherwise specified by your physician here.
7 DAYS prior to your procedure: STOP PLAVIX, COUMADIN, ASPIRIN. Stop all iron and vitamin E supplements. You may take your other vitamin supplements. STOP herbal medicine therapy including: ginger, garlic, valerian root and fish oil. Check with your physician first please.
3 DAYS Prior to your procedure: Eliminate all seeds from you diet. Examples: multigrain breads & cereals, poppy & sesame seeds, all fruits with seeds, jams, tomatoes, cucumbers, popcorn, nuts, etc.
DAY BEFORE PROCEDURE
- Clear liquids only all day. No solid foods of any kinds all day.
Clear liquid examples are: Water, black coffee, tea, broth, plain Jell-O, popsicles, Crystal Light, Gatorade, Propel, soda pop. No red, orange or purple Jell-O, soda pop, popsicles, Crystal Light, Propel or Gatorade is to be used.
- You are encouraged to drink plenty of clear liquids the day before the exam to prevent dehydration and for optimal preparation
- You may drink Boost or Ensure (without FIBER) for extra protein but only until you start drinking the laxatives.
- At 3:00 pm: Take two Dulcolax tablets NO MORE BOOST OR ENSURE
- At 4:00 pm: Drink the 10 ounce bottle of Magnesium Citrate.
- At 6:00 pm: Mix the entire bottle of Miralax in the 64 oz clear liquid of your choice. No red, orange or purple liquid. Mix until completely dissolved. Drink ½ the bottle of this mixture at the rate of one 8 ounce glass every 15-30 minutes until half the bottle is gone.
- You can expect to have multiple bowel movements soon after.
- Continue to drink clear liquids all evening.
- At 8 pm TAKE THE REMAINING TWO Dulcolax tablets.
- At 10pm: Drink the rest of the Miralax mixture at the rate of one 8 ounce glass every 15-30 minutes until it is entirely gone.
- Drink 3 more 8 ounce glasses of clear liquid over the next hour.
- Expect to have another series of bowel movements, the color of urine.
- Try to get some sleep. Please don’t drink anything more after midnight if your surgery is schedule for 730 the following morning. If you are scheduled later in the day, you must stop drinking at least 6 hours prior to surgery.